Week Five: Birth and Society
Dudley Kirk. 1996. Demographic transition theory.
- Describe the sequence of changes in birth and death rates in a "classic" demographic transition. What objections have been raised to this picture as a valid historical generalization?
- How are modernization and westernization different, according to Caldwell? What does westernization have to do with intergenerational wealth flows, and how does this affect fertility?
- Explain what societal changes Caldwell holds responsible for reversing wealth flows in human societies. How and why does he think this reversal affects fertility?
Mikko Myrskyla, Hans-Peter Kohler & Fracesco Billari. 2009. Advances in development reverse fertility declines.
- During the 20th century what pattern emerged relating fertility rates to social and economic development?
- At what critical level of the human development index does the relation to fertility rates appear to change in recent years?
- What is the new pattern relating fertility to development above the critical level identified by Myrskyla? Name at least three countries that fit into this new pattern.